Abortion Pill in Greenville, Texas
Raffa Clinic provides information on the abortion pill and the typical abortion pill costs. We offer free pregnancy and sexual health services in Greenville to help when facing an unplanned pregnancy.
Did you take the first abortion pill and changed your mind? Learn more about abortion pill reversal near me.
ABORTION PILL INFORMATION
Note: As of July 1st, 2022, the use of the abortion pill is currently banned in Texas.
Medication abortion (also called the abortion pill, Mifeprex™) is FDA approved for up to 70 days (10 weeks pregnant) after the start of your last menstrual period.
- The “pill” is actually a protocol that involves taking two drugs, mifepristone and misoprostol, which are taken in two separate doses on different days.
- It is not available through a pharmacy, but is only available by an authorized provider.
- The FDA strongly cautions against the use of mifepristone obtained over the Internet.3
- Because of complications, the FDA keeps close track of all sales and prescriptions of Mifeprex.4
- The abortion pill is not the same as emergency contraception.
- For women who change their minds after taking just the mifepristone, it may be possible to rescue the pregnancy. For more information, see: The Abortion Pill Reversal.
How it works – The first medication, mifepristone, blocks progesterone. Progesterone is a hormone that is necessary for the pregnancy to survive. Without progesterone, the embryo eventually dies over the next several days. The second medication, misoprostol, causes bleeding and cramping, expelling the embryo and uterine contents.
Side effects – Cramping and bleeding are expected. Bleeding lasts an average of 9 to 16 days. Other possible side effects include nausea, vomiting, diarrhea, fever, chills, weakness, dizziness and headache.
Complications – In 1% of women, bleeding is so heavy a surgical procedure called a D&C is required to stop the bleeding. Life-threatening infection has occurred in a small number of women who used the abortion pill protocol. Before taking any medication, you should discuss the risks with your doctor and know what to do if complications arise.
Follow-up – It is important to follow-up with your doctor 1 to 2 weeks after taking this medication regime to see if an abortion has occurred and to assess for complications.
Information taken from U.S. Food and Drug Administration (2016). “Mifeprex Medication Guide.” U.S. Department of Health. Retrieved from https://www.fda.gov/drugs/postmarket-drug-safety-information-patients-and-providers/mifeprex-mifepristone-information
2. Viability is generally considered about 24 weeks from a woman’s LMP. See https://www.guttmacher.org/state-policy/explore/overview-abortion-laws
CONFIDENTIAL ABORTION CONSULTATION – NO COST TO YOU
At your appointment, our staff will perform a pregnancy test and discuss all your options. Our medical staff will determine next steps, such as an ultrasound exam, and the best time to schedule that procedure. An ultrasound can confirm if you are carrying a viable pregnancy and can give you an estimate of pregnancy dating. This is valuable information regardless of which decision you make. The abortion procedure used and associated costs vary depending on duration of pregnancy.